Saturday, July 4, 2020

The Struggle Continues; Food Dreams

It's been quite a while since my last post, and I wish I had an improvement to report, but immediately after reaching a new multi-year low, I went on the beginning of a monster bounce, which eventually peaked about 15 lbs.; as of this morning, it's back down to about 7 over my low, and that's after a whoosh over the past week or so. Part of the story may have involved going off an old med because the prescription changed but under COVID-19 office staffing issues, it had been delayed, and I transitioned to a new health plan which vastly increased my prescription co-pay to about my car payment. I'm now on a new med which costs less, and it may be helping my weight as a nice side-effect. Of course, it may just be a coincidence.

I don't know about whether other dieters dream about food, but I often do. I really haven't eaten college food since graduate school at UT/Austin. (I briefly lived in off-campus graduate school housing at UH but didn't subscribe to a meal plan on campus.) I did eat lunch on campus at two university clients in 2008. Anyway, I often have nightmares about old days as a college student pursuing 4 degrees. Quite often it's something like I'm sitting for a final where I haven't attended a lecture or opened the textbook all semester. Usually these aren't food related, so this was novel. I was back in a cafeteria line, and all the entrees  were crap. I noticed at the end of the buffet there were a couple of trays of succulent roast chicken sections, and I asked the worker for a portion; she refused saying that I had missed the afternoon deadline to place an order.

In a different dream, somehow involving WWE wrestler/executive HHH, I came into a room where obviously 3 or 4 colleagues had stuffed themselves with pizza. (Pizza is a staple for IT worker shared meals; I've had many at company/HR lunches and/or after-hours maintenance work.) But apparently the only pie left wasn't my desired pepperoni or supreme, but something that looked like gravy smeared over flatbread. Pass!